This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)
Perugia, the capital of Umbria, is located 35 miles from Todi.
Once one of the most powerful Etruscan settlements, the present town is an elegant city that will surprise you with its perfect mix of old and new.
Apart from art and history, Perugia is well known in Italy thanks to the Perugina Chocolate Industry, founded at the beginning of the 20th century, and its iconic praline, the delicious BACIO (kiss)!
CLASSIC TOUR (about 2 hours and 30 minutes)*
- Meet the guide and reach the city center with the convenient escalators, built in 1983. These are contained within the wonderful setting of the ancient Rocca Paolina, a sixteenth-century papal fortress, commissioned by Paul III Farnese.
- We will pause for a moment on the panoramic terrace of Piazza Italia, from which you can admire the medieval quarter of St. Peter and, on clear days, the spiritual town of Assisi, which lies at the foot of Mount Subasio .
- Walking along the broad Corso Vannucci, full of ancient palaces and elegant stores (we will make a quick stop in front of the official Perugina Chocolate Shop!!!) , you arrive in Piazza IV Novembre, on which stand three imposing medieval jewels:
- Palazzo dei Priori, erected between the end of 1200 and the first half of 1400
- Cathedral of San Lorenzo, an unfinished Gothic church
- The magnificent Fontana Maggiore, completed in 1278 and decorated by two of the most famous sculptors of the time; Giovanni andNicola Pisano. The bas-reliefs are like an open book which tells us the rich cultural and historical story of 13th-century Perugia.
- Next stop, the Sun District, where you can enjoy the amazing view and then walk down to the imposing Etruscan Arch, also known as Arco di Augusto, located on the same square where you can see the famous University for Foreigners.
- Optional: A few steps from the main square is the ancientPiazza del Sopramuro boasting the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the Old University and the Market Hall.
* The duration of the tour is indicative: depending on your schedule, we can tailor the tour to your needs
The Paolina Fortress The “Bacio” Perugina
With a little more time available, you can extend the tour to other important monuments and characteristic areas of the city:
Collegio del Cambio, with the cycle of frescoes by Perugino
Collegio della Mercanzia
Church of San Severo, with the fresco of young Raffaello
National Gallery of Umbria, with masterpieces by Perugino, Pinturicchio, Piero della Francesca, Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli and much more
National Archeological Museum
Historic Museum of Perugina Chocolate Factory
Walk through the medieval quarters of Perugia (S. Pietro, S. Angelo, S. Francesco)